- 1 2-pound Harris Teeter beef brisket, scored with a knife on both sides
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh gingerroots, thinly sliced
- 4 slices orange peel, no white pith
- Combine cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over brisket, and place beef in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a medium bowl, mix together olive oil, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, tomato paste, orange juice, garlic, ginger and orange peel. Pour mixture over brisket in the resealable plastic bag, and seal. Marinate beef in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight, turning bag several times.
- Pour the contents of the bag into a slow cooker, and cook on low 7 to 9 hours (on high 3 ½ to 4 hours) until beef reaches 145° F on an internal meat thermometer for medium doneness, turning once or twice. Slice thinly across the grain, and serve.
SOURCE: The Beef Checkoff, beefretail.org